In “Relaciones de las Yslas Filipinas”, annals of history written by Miguel Lopez De Legaspi, it was mentioned by Miguel De Loarca, an encomendero, that the barrios of Cavite were named while their galleon ships embarked on the coastal villages. These towns are Vacol (now known as Bacoor), Minakaya (now called Binakayan) and Maragondon, all near Manila Bay.
The name Bacood (derived from the Tagalog word bakod, meaning fence) is suggestive of its role as a suburb of Parañaque (known before as Palanyag) constituting the boundary between the mother town of Cavite del Viejo (now known as Kawit) and Silang. In early times during the Spanish regime, Bacood was thickly covered with bamboo groves running from Zapote to sitio Talaba. The term “Bakood” also refers to those who lived in the place who were called such by the early Tagalog settlers. According to “Historia, Geografica, Geologica y Estadistica de Filipinas” (por D. Agustin de la Cavada, Mendez de Vega, Tesoro de Hacienda, Cesanti). Bacoor was founded in 1671 with a population of 10,165. Migration from Palanyag (Parañaque) to Bacoor started in 1669, the period wherein illustrado families like the Cuenca, Bauan, Farolan, Pagtakhan, De Ocampo, Gregorio and Guevarra established residency in Bacoor.
Bacooreños in the 16th century lived not only in the coastal areas but also in lands devoted to agriculture. The names of earliest towns, in fact, showed the people were involved in agricultural endeavours like : Zapote (chico), Sineguelasan (plum fruit), Alima (arimas), Daangbukid (passageway), Banalo (tree), Mabolo (kamagong tree), Ligas (tree), Pinyahan (pineapple plantation), and Molino (dam or water reservoir).
In the 16th century, Bacoor is a typical town with a parish priest and a Governor under the diocese of Imus. Bacoor is found along Manila Bay with a very refreshing cool weather coming from nearby Bacoor Bay. About 2,068 houses made of tiles and wood existed with a parochial house, a trial court, and a primary school.
Significant contributions of Bacoor to Philippine independence was the Battle of Zapote Bridge in February 15, 1897 that witnessed the bravery and heroism of General Edilberto Evangelista “the Engineer of the Revolution” and “Hero of Zapote Bridge” and awakened nationalism among Filipinos. On July 4, 1898, Bacoor became the main headquarters and capital of the Revolutionary government. The residence of Juan Cuenca and Candida Chaves in Digman was the First Malacañang of the Republic of the Philippines.
The House of Representatives of the Philippines is the Lower House of the Congress of the Philippines. (The Senate of the Philippines is the Upper House). It is often informally called Congress. Members of the House are officially styled as Representative and sometimes informally called Congressmen and are elected to a three-year term. They can be re-elected, but cannot serve more than three consecutive terms.
Around eighty percent of congressmen are district representatives, representing a particular geographical area. There are 234 legislative districts in the country, each composed of about 250,000 people. There are also party-list representatives elected through the party-list system who constitute not more than twenty percent of the total number of representatives.
Aside from having its concurrence on every bill in order to be passed for the President’s signature to become a law, the House of Representatives has the power to impeach certain officials, and all bills of local importance, as well as bills on ways and means, must originate from the Lower House.